Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!!

I remember when my mother turned 40. I thought she was old, ancient, had no mojo and was never gonna be cool ever again.  She cut her hair short, covered up the greys with an awful dark dye job and got a perm!  Heaven forbid!!

Now it’s my turn! I reached the big 4-0 milestone yesterday, and I gotta tell you, I feel pretty darn good!  I’m not old or ancient, and apparently I still have my mojo. Derek ain’t complainin’ ya'll!  I still think I’m pretty cool, even if my kids think I know nothing and doubt my coolness. I can still impress them.  My hair turned curly on its own, but I’m learning to go with it, embrace the curl and work with what Mother Nature has given me.

Weight Watchers has proved to be AWESOME! I feel fantastic even though I’ve only lost 4.5 pounds. I feel lighter, freer and more energetic already. I’m totally into it. Just wait, pretty soon I’ll have memorized the point values for just about everything I choose to ingest. Food is fuel!  I plan to reach my first goal in the next few weeks.  I’m feeling pumped up enough about it to expand into the real exercise arena. Maybe Jazzercise or Zumba at home?  I’m checking out E-Bay as we speak to score someone else’s cast off DVD collection.

Turning 40 for me is definitely not the same as turning 40 was for my mother’s generation.  Her path was set, the die was cast, she knew she was pretty much gonna be doing the same thing every day for the duration.  Me, I’m still trailblazing! I have a good job, but I might just change if something better comes along.  I’m pursing that bachelor’s degree I always wanted. This semester, it’s Spanish 101!  I’m making new friends and keeping the oldies & goodies.  I’m learning new things, and re-discovering old hobbies I forgot I knew.  I’m finding new books I’m interested to read and adding them to my ever-growing reading list.  This game ain’t over, folks!

People keep telling me that 40 is the new 30!  I think there just might be some truth to that! This is way better than 30, though, because I really know who I am and what I want. I feel empowered and like there’s so much more for me to learn, experience, enjoy and accomplish!  Here’s to 40! And nary a butch cut, kinky perm nor a bad dye job in sight!

“At 20 years of age the will reigns; at 30 the wit; at 40 the judgment.” ~ Benjamin Franklin





No comments:

Post a Comment